Where the flaps join the lower wing there are square holes present so I filled these in with a 1mm or so square strip of styrene;
Using the same square section I made new flap actuators cut to shape, leaving a gap between them and the leading edge;
Although the new actuators are probably not entirely accurate, they look a lot better than the original ones moulded on the flaps;
Looking at the reference pictures I have, I noticed that the ends of the flaps are recessed so I did this using a modelling chisel and by being VERY careful as I didn’t want to cut myself (been there done that);
Apart from the cockpit and undercarriage, the build is virtually done with just a couple of bits to add such as the various aerials found on the airframe;
It turned out to be more work than I originally anticipated (it would’nt have been the case with a US Marines one but nooooo…) but it has been an interesting exercise in scratch building the various sensors and other bits found on the USAF version. Comparing what I have made to the Black Dog update set, I didn’t do too badly really either seeing that a lot of it was an educated guess (using reference pics) about the sizes and shapes of the add-on bits. I’ll see if I can actually get it finished in between the two ICM kits although they both take priority on the bench.