I’ve managed to get some time at the bench today so I touched up the black undercoat then sprayed the base coat;
I’ve used Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan for a basecoat as it more or less matches the German Dunkelgelb which was used in the later stages of WW2 plus it will darken with weathering.
You might notice that it’s shiny, this is because after applying pin washes to the very matt finished SS-23 I had no control over them and they left ‘tide-marks’ everywhere on the model.
This time around as an experiment I added Tamiya X-22 Clear varnish to the base coat rather than gloss the model after so we’ll see if this method works better for washes. Camouflage-wise I’m thinking of an ‘ambush’ style, hardly original but a scheme I’ve been wanting to do for ages. I may put some unit markings, crosses and numbers on too.