A quiet week

Although I was off work last week I hadn’t done much modelling apart from finishing the Porsche. The results of that and the finish on the 1/72 Dornier left me feeling a little flat so decided to have a break from modelling for a bit. A couple of days later I picked this out of the stash;

My partner was quite taken with the aircraft featured on the box (Hermann Graf’s Bf109G-6) so I decided to build it straight from the box as it has been ten years or more since I last built a 109. I quite fancied putting W/Gr 21 mortar tubes on the aircraft instead of the cannon pods so I started doing a bit of research to see what was what and apparently Graf did have them fitted on his aircraft.

Eduard don’t include the mortar tubes so I bought one of their Brassin sets which is due this week sometime. Doing some further research I found that Graf’s machine was fitted with outboard gear doors as well, presumably to protect the wheels from blast damage from the mortar tubes.

Picture is a still from old film footage and is shown for discussion purposes only

Not a huge problem as they wouldn’t be hard to make from styrene sheet, however on further digging the canopy on Graf’s machine featured a blister on the top which would be very difficult to replicate. Luckily AIMS produce a set for Graf’s 109 that includes the outer gear doors, rocket tubes and new canopy centre section so that is on the way too.

If you look carefully at the open centre section of the canopy you can just see a curved section in the top.

This has obviously put back the build so I may make a start on this one in the stash instead;

Meanwhile I sprayed the dark yellow base coat on the Tasca 1/35 Luchs just for something to do;

I find that Tamiya XF-60 is too dark straight out of the jar so I lightened it with XF-15 Flesh plus I added some acrylic retardent fluid to avoid the rapid drying time that leaves a gritty effect in paint, something I should have done with the Hataka stuff I used for the Dornier Do28. After spraying the Luchs I took the opportunity of completely stripping and cleaning my Iwata Revolution CR airbrush as the trigger is sticking when you release it;

I just used IPA to clean it and did NOT put any lube of any description on the working parts as last time I did it, the sticking trigger was made worse with the stuff.

I may put the green and brown camo on the Luchs later but even after spraying it I still feel a bit flat so may do domething else. We’ll see…..

Published by andyk21

I've been a modelmaker for a verrry long time and still show no signs of growing out of it after 48 years. I mainly build tanks, aircraft and paint figures but generally do whatever takes my fancy whether it's historical, Science-fiction, a 'what-if' or because it has pretty colours and looks nice. I'm hoping that you find my blog interesting and useful, particularly if building a model that I have built and documented here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

SPENCER POLLARD'S KIT BOX

Where building models, is all we ever want to do!

Model Airplane Maker

Building and improving scale models

%d bloggers like this: