I’ve been thinking about how to make the Flightpath MC-130H resin nose fit the Zvezda fuselage as in the previous post I showed the difference in width between the two. In the end I decided to cut the resin nose in half and instead of using a razor saw, I used a woodworking saw as I figured this would remove an adequate amount material;
I drew a line around the middle as best I could and began cutting after putting on a mask as breathing resin dust is never a good idea;
After sanding the two halves they were then superglued together and the joint filled with Revell model filler;
Not much finesse I’m afraid as the saw cut was’nt exactly straight however it achieved the desired purpose. The next job was to hollow out the inside of the resin nose so it would fit the Zvezda fuselage;
I used a Dremel fitted with a dentist’s burr for this, again wearing a mask. The result is a perfect drop-fit;
OK I lied about the fit being perfect but at least it is as near-as-dammit and ‘should’ look better after some tweaking and lots of filler. I may use Milliput for this to avoid damaging the panel lines on the Zvezda fuselage, the important thing is I have not altered the kit so if this butchering to get an MC-130H doesn’t work out I can always revert to building a standard C-130.
By the way I hadn’t even planned on making a start on this one but curiosity got the better of me…..again.