Another one of the reported faults with this kit concerns the shape of the jet pipe and although I was’nt going to bother with it, once I really looked and compared it to pictures of the real aircraft it was starting to bug me.
I tried clamping the fuselage to squeeze it together and heat it up in hot water but that didn’t really work as well as it did with the air intake. I read online of a possible fix that included cutting a triangular section out of the top and bottom of the jet pipe which I tried but I just couldn’t get the fuselage together.
A more radical solution was to cut the rear end off all together at the panel line;
As I had already cut a ‘V’ shape top and bottom, the edges were sanded to match them all up, the two halves glued together and left to set after taping the assembly to the handle of a round modelling knife;
Today I took the tape off, cleaned up the assembly and it looks a lot better shape compared to what I started with;
There is a bit of a step between the assembly and the rest of the fuselage but with some pressure and superglue it should be OK, failing that I’ll make an insert for it.