This is another model that I’ve been messing with for the past couple of weeks and after gloss coating it a couple of days ago the decals went on tonight. Not as straight forward a process as I thought either as putting the first decal on the passenger door, as soon as it touched the surface it was impossible to move around to get it into position. I flooded it with Micro Set and water and it just would not budge. I managed to lift part of it and soaked it off, however the decal kept folding over itself so I put it back in the dish of water to untangle it.
In the end I managed to get the decal back on the backing sheet, put the sheet on the door, slid the decal into place at the top then slowly pulled the backing sheet away. The decal was then coated with Micro Sol and left alone, repeating the process for the other decals.
There is absolutely zero wiggle-room with these decals so you need to place them accurately right away.
When the decals have set I’ll give the model another coat of gloss varnish then get on with putting it all together.
One very good tip I got off one of my modelling friends on Farcebook was that once you sprayed the Tamiya X-22 gloss varnish, you then mist on a very fine coat of Mr Hobby Self Levelling Thinners, leave it to do it’s magic and you end up with a very shiny finish. Be warned though that you have to be VERY careful not to drench the model otherwise you will destroy the paint and I would advise practising on a test bed.
It’s slowly coming together and in the colour scheme I chose it does look very different to my usual subjects.
I did have issues with the paint being gritty but that was due to the paint drying before it hit the model so in future I’ll be using retarders in both acrylic and lacquer based paints.