Not long after I sprayed the camo scheme I realised that the colours would more than likely show through the roundels so using a vernier gauge I measured the diameter of the decals then divided by 2 (using a calculator because I was always shit at maths) to find the radius.
The vernier was set to the radius measurement then I set the compass cutter to the vernier;
Using a self adhesive masking film that I found on Amazon the masks were cut with the compass cutter, cut into squares to allow for any overspray then applied to the model.
Mr Hobby Aqueous white was sprayed over the masks rather than Tamiya as that stuff is a bitch to spray nicely for some reason, the masks were then removed and the model given another coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss;
While I was in the mood for spraying I masked off the air intakes and painted the red rims around them. Also there are dayglo panels on the main undercarriage doors and a dayglo stripe on each fuel tank and to do this I masked off the areas first, sprayed them with Tamiya XF-3 Yellow and when dry oversprayed these areas with Vallejo Model Air Flourescent Orange. This was the first time ever spraying anything a dayglo colour so I’m quite pleased with the results;
The next step is to get the decals on.
Published by andyk21
I've been a modelmaker for a verrry long time and still show no signs of growing out of it after 50 plus years.
I mainly build tanks, aircraft and paint figures but generally do whatever takes my fancy whether it's historical, Science-fiction, a 'what-if' or because it has pretty colours and looks nice.
I'm hoping that you find my blog interesting and useful, particularly if building a model that I have built and documented here.
View more posts