I was having a look at another modellers P-51 the other day (that Spencer Pollard chap) and the way he had picked out different panels using the base colour and another colour and although I have already applied the decals I wanted to do this on my model.
The decals needed masking so I coated them with Winsor and Newton masking fluid and when dry put Tamiya masking tape over them. The AS-12 that I used as the basecoat was decanted into a jar and when it had degassed I mixed in some XF-1 black and sprayed the wing gun panels and around the exhausts.
Mostly the masking fluid worked at protecting the decals when removing the tape however the red lettering on the nose suffered a bit;
The solution was to paint in the red by hand using Andrea basic red, a fine paint brush and hoping it matched the decal. I think it worked;
All I need to do is apply the national insignia on the wings as the Microscale decal sheet arrived today and the grey on the stars and bars seems to match that on the EagleCals sheet.
It’s not going to be perfect by any means but I’m glad that the finishing line is in sight, particularly as it would have just been sitting in the Box-of-Shame plus I’ve learned a couple of new things too which is always a bonus.