With the T-55 built I came back to the P-51 as it’s another I want off the bench as the queue of stuff I want to build is getting longer.
I’ve managed to glue all the control surfaces on and although the fit of the tail wings looked OK on top, underneath the joints were pretty horrendous with large gaps to fill so these, along with the joints around the nose were filled with Mr Surfacer 1000 and left to set before lightly sanding and finally polishing with a ladies nail buffer (these things are invaluable for model making);
Panel lines were restored by using electrical tape as a guide then re-scribed, liquid glue was then brushed over them to clean out the swarf. I used to use Dymo tape for this but it doesn’t seem to stick as well plus it’s much thinner these days so the electrical tape makes a decent substitute.
So far it’s not a bad kit and the build is nearing completion but I’m still surprised about the fit of some parts, it will be interesting to see how the new Airfix Sea Fury shapes up in this regard.