The build is now complete and the model needs a clean before applying the primer coat. Before the main gear was painted I added the brake lines using copper wire and small strips of masking tape to represent the fasteners that hold the brake lines to the door. The wheels are Eduard Brassin items.
Although you can get pre-cut canopy masks, for simple framing like the Hurricane it’s just as quick to do it yourself using Tamiya masking tape, a cocktail stick (to define the tape around the frame), a fresh scalpel blade and a steady hand. Care is needed as I have rescribed canopy framing before now…oops!
Once the transparencies were masked the windscreen was fixed into place using G-S Hypo Cement. This stuff is mainly used by jewellers for repairs but it’s great for model canopies as unlike superglue it doesn’t fog plus I find it stronger that PVA type glues such as Krystal Kleer. You can eliminate the fogging of clear parts by dipping them in Johnsons Kleer and leaving them to dry however I’m going off the stuff personally.
The wingtip navigation lights were drilled into then drops of Tamiya clear red (for port) and green (for starboard) were put in to simulate the coloured light as the covers were clear.
2 thoughts on “Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk I”
Hi Andy,Just stumbled across your blogs.I've recently (about 3 weeks ago) picked up the Dragon Fokker DVIII kit,to be fair It was the bust I was after,the wing has been assembled, I'll be building it Hans Goerths aircraft, I may try your fix for the struts,I'll be painting the wood effect and may try to do something with seat,I've seen Images of them with lightening holes. Thanks for your post Chris
Hi Chris,Many thanks for your comment and I'm glad somebody has found my ramblings useful :o)