A couple of days ago I fitted the lower wing to the fuselage then the upper wings after some good advice from a modelling buddy and left it to set. Now I had heard that the wing roots could be a poor fit on some Airfix kits but not on others so guess who has the kit with the dodgy wing roots?
Now it might be my fault OR it could be a fault with the moulding but after my experiences with the Airfix Dakota wing roots my money would be on the moulding process. To me it *looks* like there has been some slight shrinkage around the curves of the inner lower wing, maybe being due to the part coming out of the tool too early (I saw this a lot in my time at a plastics factory).
Anyway this problem needs addressing so after a think and a cup of tea I decided to hack out a section either side of the lower wing;
These sections will be glued back in flush with the leading edges, at least this way the gap will be at the back and easier to fill without destroying any surface detail (that’s the plan anyway).
This also gave me the opportunity to reset the joint between the lower wing and nose as there was a noticeable mismatch between the two, hopefully it will now be flush;
A bit of a setback but with a bit of luck I will be able to make the joints disappear, anyway this HAS to be better than what I started with.